Hatfield, Hampshire County, Massachusetts, United States Hadley, Hampshire County, Massachusetts, United States ca. 1680–1700
39 1/4 x 47 x 19 3/4 in.
Sack catalogue description: Pilgrim maple two-drawer Hadley chest, one of the earliest forms, described by Luther as the "Hatfield" type and attributed by him to John Allis, who died in 1691. It varies from the larger conventional group by the case and stiles being fashioned entirely of maple with the original pine lid, the stiles terminate in integral turned feet, and the initials "KK" are contained in diamond frames in the end panels rather than the center panels of the larger group. Made in Hatfield or Hadley, Massachusetts. Ex-collection Mrs. S. R. Bertron, Oyster Bay, Long Island; ex-collection Mr. and Mrs. Mitchel Taradash, Ardsley-on-Hudson, New York. Apparently by the same hand as the "AA" chest, illustrated in Luther, The Hadley Chest , no. 21, made for Abigail Allis, born Hadley, Massachusetts, 1672. Related objects: Book: Clair Franklin Luther, The Hadley Chest (Hartford, Conn.: Case, Lockwood & Brainard, 1935), no. 4, 21. ----- Bibliography: Book: American Antiques from Israel Sack Collection, 10 vols. (Washington, D.C.: Highland House Publishers, 1957–1990), vol. 5, p. 1263, pl. P4207. Book: Clair Franklin Luther, The Hadley Chest (Hartford, Conn.: Case, Lockwood & Brainard, 1935), no. 44. ----- YUAG catalogue note: Also related to the "EA" chest, illustrated in Luther, The Hadley Chest , no. 4, made for Elizabeth Allis, born 1679.
Pilgrim maple Hadley chest
Decoration and ornament--Mannerist style Furniture--United States
chests (case furniture) (AAT)
Image Physical Object
Furnishings & Decorative Arts Prints & Photographs
The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Israel Sack, Inc., Archive
New York, New York, United States 1957–1990
Sack, 1974 This information is taken from the Israel Sack Furniture Archive and may not reflect current scholarship.