Discovered by Dr. James Molloy in a lumber room containing part of the old presbytery library at Winchester, the strips were once used in the binding of a copy of the sermons of St. Augustine. The strips were cut from adjacent portions of text from the inner margin of a folio in a manuscript which originally contained Aelfric's Catholic Homilies and Lives of Saints. Fragments of the same manuscript exist in the Bodleian Library, Queen's College Library, Cambridge, and the Lilly Library of Indiana University. These two strips were once used in the binding of a copy of the sermons of St. Augustine, Bodleian Vet.E.1 b.10. The strips overlapped by about 160 mm. so that they could extend to the 360 mm. height of the Augustine manuscript. The manuscript is from the "middle period" of Aelfric's productions of these texts, which lasted for about ten years after 992.
Two adjacent strips from a homily for Palm Sunday.
Catholic homilies [circa 1000-1025]
Christian literature, English (Old)
Manuscript waste (Binding) Manuscripts
Archives or Manuscripts
The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
James Marshall and Marie-Louise Osborn Collection
Extent of digitization:
Complete work digitized.
Number of Pages: 2
For more information about this resource, contact: