Script: Copied by two scribes writing a heavily abbreviated early Gothica Textualis Libraria with simplified letter forms: hand A (ff. 1r-10r, line 5) is rather bold and uses single-compartment a and straight s in all positions; hand B (ff. 10r, line 6-26v) is slightly less careful, there is more variety in the shape of a, and final s is either round or straight. Red heightening of the majuscules, but layout and decoration lack uniformity. (1) Up to f. 12r inclusively the chapters start in the middle of a line and are preceded by a red paragraph mark; the corresponding chapter number is written by another hand at the same height in one of the side margins, and the chapter heading is added by the same hand in one of the margins and connected to the beginning of the chapter by a reference mark or by a connecting line. (2) From f. 12v up to at least f. 22v the chapters open at the left margin with a 1- or 2-line red plain initial and the corresponding heading and chapter number are copied in red by a contemporary hand in the open space on the preceding line; instructions for these are provided by the scribe (B) in small handwriting alongside the upper or lower edges. (3) Starting f. 23v for the final chapters 40-42 we see the type of layout and decoration as described under (1). On f. 1r a large and narrow “shaped inset” littera duplex in red and green initial F in red and green (8/16 ll.). with extremely developed penwork in the same colours and green extensions in the left margin. The lower edges of ff. 2, 7 and 11 are irregular; the lower outer corners of ff. 18, 23 and 24 are defective. Binding: Twentieth century. Yellow velvet over rounded wooden boards. The former cover consists of a 17th-century document on parchment with text on the inner side, largely illegible due to the remnants of paste on its surface, issued by “Frater Bruno [d'Affringues, 1600-1631], ... totius ordinis Cartusiensis generalis minister”. The former binding contained also three fragments of a 13th-century manuscript on parchment, containing liturgical directions. These are now kept apart with the former cover and a former parchment flyleaf.
Manuscript on parchment of Guillelmus de Sancto Theoderico (William of St. Thierry, c. 1080-1148), Epistola ad fratres de Monte Dei (De vita solitaria), without the Preface. The letter is addressed to the monks of the Charterhouse of Montdieu in the diocese of Reims. With an index of the chapters of art. 1.
Latin letters, Medieval and modern Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library Monastic and religious life
William,--of Saint-Thierry, Abbot of Saint-Thierry,--ca. 1085-1148?
The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Beinecke MS 828
General Collection, BRBL, Yale University
William of St. Thierry. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
Extent of digitization:
Complete work digitized.
Number of Pages: 73
For more information about this resource, contact:
Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library
P.O. Box 208330
New Haven, CT 06520-8330