Jaffa: Topographic Views of Old City (Tel Aviv-Jaffa, Israel) : Belfry and St. Peter's Church (1654; rebuilt 1888-1894) at top of hill, minaret of al-Bahr Mosque (the "Sea Mosque") at the base

Creator:
Gilchrist, Scott, 1960-
Published/Created:
Old Jaffa; Kedumim Square, Kikar Kdumim, Tel Aviv-Jaffa, Tel Aviv, national district, Israel
2010 (photographed)
Date Depicted:
7/14/2010
Materials:
digital images
Notes:
Jaffa (also Japho, Joppa) is the southern, oldest part of Tel Aviv-Jaffa municipality (renamed since 1950), an ancient port city in Israel. Among the landmarks of Old Jaffa is St. Peter's Church (1654; rebuilt 1888-1894), with its tall brick facade and towering belfry. Kedumim street leads from the harbor into the old city with steps up the hill; it broadens into a plaza, Kedumim Square (Kikar Kdumim) where most of the historic buildings are found. Jaffa figured in both the Crusades and the Napoleonic Wars.
Topics:
Architecture -- Israel -- 21st century -- (YVRC)
Period/Style:
Twenty-first century
Culture:
Islamic
Israeli
Accession Number:
1A2-IS-JA-JTV-A01
Genre:
architecture (AAT)
photographs (AAT)
topographical views (AAT)
Format:
Image
Content Type:
Prints & Photographs
Sculptures, Models, & Architecture
Rights:
Copyright Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc
The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Access Restrictions:
Yale Community Only
Digital:
visual works; photographs; visual works; topographical views
Source Creator:
Gilchrist, Scott
Source Title:
Archivision Addition Module Eight
Source Created:
2878 Chamonix, Montreal QC
Archivision, Inc.
7/14/2010 12:00:00 AM
Source Note:
Purchase, Visual Resources Collection, May, 2013; photographer Scott Gilchrist
Yale Collection:
Visual Resources Collection
Digital Collection:
Visual Resources Collection
Local Record Number:
4654
OID:
10901470
PID:
digcoll:1856148