Il Gesù (Rome, Italy) : Attic story, right side, depicting right scroll
Porta, Giacomo della, 1532/1533-1602 or 1604 Vignola, Jacopo da, 1507-1573
Rome, Lazio, Italy 1571-1584
12/1/1997 1500 AD - 1699 AD
n July 1571 work began on the façade of Il Gesù, for which Cardinal Alessandro Farnese had favoured della Porta's design over those of Jacopo Vignola--who had largely designed the rest of the church--and Galeazzo Alessi. Della Porta also designed the high altar (1582) and the crossing (1584) of Il Gesù. Della Porta's design accentuated the verticality of the façade, thereby creating a strong central climax; this provided a precedent for successive Baroque façades. Il Gesù was the first permanent Roman church of the Jesuit Order.
Chiesa del Sacro Nome di Gesù
Architecture -- Italy -- 16th century -- (YVRC)
architecture (AAT) churches (AAT)
Sculptures, Models, & Architecture
Copyright Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.