Saint John's University; Alcuin Library (Collegeville, MN) : Interior, stairwell with suspended lighting, looking through window to "tree" support of Main Circulation Room

Creator:
Breuer, Marcel, 1902-1981
Published/Created:
2835 Abbey Plaza, Saint John's University, Collegeville, Minnesota, United States
1964-1966; 1975 (alteration)
Date Depicted:
3/27/2011
Materials:
reinforced concrete; terra cotta tile; glass
Notes:
The space of the Main Circulation Room (which can seat 400) is kept open by two massive concrete "trees" as the only supports of the 860 ton roof. The support points are visible on the flat roof, viewed from above. The library was originally built for a capacity of 550,000 volumes. The wedged-shaped, basement level Bush Center, better known as the Hill Museum and Manuscript Library (HMML) was added to the library in 1975, also by Breuer.
Variant Titles:
Alcuin Library
Topics:
Architecture -- United States -- 20th century -- (YVRC)
Period/Style:
Modernist
Twentieth century
Culture:
American
Accession Number:
1A1-BM-SJUAL-C03
Genre:
architecture (AAT)
libraries (buildings) (AAT)
Format:
Image
Content Type:
Sculptures, Models, & Architecture
Rights:
Copyright Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc
The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Access Restrictions:
Yale Community Only
Digital:
architecture; contemporary (1960 to present); Education; manuscript archives; buildings; libraries (buildings)
Source Creator:
Gilchrist, Scott
Source Title:
Archivision Addition Module Eight
Source Created:
2878 Chamonix, Montreal QC
Archivision, Inc.
3/27/2011 12:00:00 AM
Source Note:
Purchase, Visual Resources Collection, May, 2013; photographer Scott Gilchrist
Yale Collection:
Visual Resources Collection
Digital Collection:
Visual Resources Collection
Local Record Number:
4654
OID:
10889632
PID:
digcoll:1808587