Santa Maria degli Angeli (Rome, Italy) : Interior, opulent Baroque decoration by Carlo Maratta at end of left transept, (new) Chapel of St. Bruno (1700), organ visible at left
Piazza della Repubblica Rome, Lazio, Italy 1562-1566 (alteration); 1749-1750 (alteration); 298-306 CE
344 ft (width, total) x 420 ft (length, total)
stone; brick; stucco; marble; rose-granite
As part of his urban improvements to this area of Rome, Pope Pius IV took up the campaign of a Sicilian visionary Antonio del Duca (brother of the architect Giacomo del Duca) that a part of the ancient Baths of Diocletian (AD 298-306) should be re-dedicated for Christian use. Michelangelo was called in to convert the tepidarium into the Carthusian church of S Maria degli Angeli (built from 1562). He oriented it northeast/southwest, with the main door and high altar on the short axis and long "transepts" ending in side-entrances. His interventions were minimal. Because the original groin vaulting and the great rose-granite columns that supported it were largely intact, Michelangelo simply walled off the transepts from the rooms beyond, built a long barrel-vaulted choir behind the altar, whitewashed the vault and tiled the roof. The present opulent interior is the result of a major reworking by Luigi Vanvitelli in 1749-1750, which obscures Michelangelo’s intentions. Some of the original spatial and lighting effects of the baths interior can still be appreciated.
Baths of Diocletian S. Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri alle Terme di Roma Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri
Architecture -- Italy -- 16th century -- (YVRC) Architecture -- Italy -- 18th century -- (YVRC) Architecture -- Roman -- (YVRC)
Ancient Roman Italian
architecture (AAT) churches (AAT) thermae
Sculptures, Models, & Architecture
Copyright Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Yale Community Only
buildings; institutional buildings; health facilities; public baths; buildings; religious buildings; churches architecture; Diocletian, Emperor of Rome, 245-313; Pius IV, Pope, 1499-1565; Restoration and conservation; Roman Empire; architectural reuse
Archivision Addition Module Seven
2878 Chamonix, Montreal QC Archivision, Inc. 4/8/2009
Purchase, Visual Resources Collection, May, 2011; photographer Scott Gilchrist
Visual Resources Collection
Visual Resources Collection
Local Record Number:
For more information about this resource, contact:
Many images in the Arts Library’s Visual Resources Digital Collection are scans from reproductions, used for teaching.
When available, information on the original work appears in a Source Note field.
Yale Library cannot provide high-resolution files, nor grant permission for use of copyrighted images.